This half-day training goes beyond recognizing types of child maltreatment. The training combines both lecture and practicum giving participants the tools and practical skills to better communicate with a child during the initial outcry of maltreatment.
The process (called FIRST) teaches three critical components:
- How to recognize signs and symptoms of abuse and maltreatment
- How to listen and respond to a child's needs
- How to effectively and accurately report any form of maltreatment to authorities
- Understand reality of child abuse
- Understand how to gather information utilizing the FIRST process
- Understand responsibility of mandated reporting and information needed for report