This report presents data collected from state, federal, and private adult correctional facilities on the characteristics of facilities by type, operator, size, physical security level, capacity, court orders, and programs. Data on the prison custody population is presented for demographic characteristics, sentence length, and custody security level by facility type and operator. Also, the report includes data on facility security staff by sex and prisoner-to-security-staff ratios.
- At midyear 2019, there were 1,079 public confinement facilities operated by either state or federal authorities and 82 private confinement facilities.
- At midyear 2019, there were 376 maximum, 451 medium, and 287 minimum security confinement facilities.
- Among all prisoners in confinement facilities at midyear 2019, about 82% were in state, 11% were in federal, and 7% were in private facilities.
- Among all prisoners reported in community-based facilities at midyear 2019, about 49% were in state and 51% were in private facilities.
- Recruitment, Assessment, and Retention in the Direct Care Workforce for Individuals with Criminal Records: A Comprehensive Model Approach, Executive Summary
- Desistance From Crime: Implications for Research, Policy, and Practice
- Building a High-Quality Correctional Workforce: Identifying Challenges and Needs