U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government, Department of Justice.

Contract Trials and Verdicts in Large Counties, 2001

NCJ Number
207388
Date Published
February 2005
Length
13 pages
Author(s)
Thomas H. Cohen J.D.
Agencies
BJS
Publication Type
Statistics
Annotation
This report presents findings on contract cases disposed of by jury or bench trial in 2001 in the Nation’s 75 largest counties.
Abstract
Information reported in numerical tables includes the types of cases, types of plaintiffs and defendants, trial winners, amount of damages awarded, and case processing time in contract trials. In addition, information on plaintiff and defendant post-verdict activity at the trial court and appellate levels is presented. This electronic-only report contains a brief summary of the contract trial statistics. Highlights include the following: (1) judges adjudicated 56 percent of contract cases, while juries decided the remaining 44 percent; (2) in 2001, the overall median damage award, which includes both compensatory and punitive damages, for plaintiff winners in contract trials was $45,000; and (3) punitive damages were awarded most frequently in contract trials involving fraud, employment discrimination, or partnership dispute claims. Tables, appendixes
Date Created: July 5, 2018