U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government, Department of Justice.

NCJRS Virtual Library

The Virtual Library houses over 235,000 criminal justice resources, including all known OJP works.
Click here to search the NCJRS Virtual Library

Multi-Disciplinary Interview Centers and Teams Directory 2005

NCJ Number
Date Published
July 2005
77 pages
This report presents the results of a survey of 59 Multidisciplinary Interview Centers and Teams (MDIC/Ts) in 51 counties of California.
A total of 54 of the 59 respondents reported using a multidisciplinary approach to interviewing while the remaining 5 reported using alternative methods for the forensic interviewing of child victims. Of the 54 respondents using a multidisciplinary approach, 80 percent conducted their interviews at fixed sites while the remaining 20 percent reported traveling to appropriate interview sites in their area. Of the 51 respondents who reported on the number of children they served annually, 18 served between 1 and 99 children, 23 served between 100 and 399 children, 7 served between 400 and 999 children, and 3 served over 1,000 children annually. Most common cases handled by responding agencies included sexual assault, physical assault, and witnesses to domestic violence. Of the 50 agencies who reported on the number of interviewers they employed, 25 employed between 4 and 8 interviewers, 20 agencies employed between 2 and 3 interviewers, and 4 agencies employed 1 interviewer. Most agencies use digital video recording equipment for the interview and closed-circuit television to remotely view interviews. Interagency protocol or agreements are used by 47 of the responding agencies, while another 11 agencies responded that they were in the process of writing or revising a protocol. Protocols most typically include written standards and procedures, mission goal, mission statement, and recognition of the need for ongoing training procedures. Protocols typically address intra-family or in-home situations, out-of-home situations, perpetration by a stranger, and siblings of a child abuse victim. Protocols also typically address procedures for sharing information among mandated reporters and other essential personnel and procedures for obtaining necessary consent for medical examinations and forensic interviews. Following the summary of findings, the report presents an individual data sheet for each of the 59 responding counties.


No download available