Provides the number of HIV-positive and active AIDS cases among state and federal prisoners at yearend 2003. This annual bulletin reports the number of AIDS-related deaths in prisons, a profile of those inmates who died, the number of female and male prisoners who were HIV-positive, and a comparison of AIDS rates for the general and prisoner populations. Historical data on AIDS cases are presented from 1998 and on AIDS deaths from 1995.
- Between 2002 and 2003 the number of HIV-positive prisoners decreased less than 1%, while the overall prison population grew 1.6% during the same period.
- At yearend 2003, 2.8% of all female state prison inmates were HIV positive, compared to 1.9% of males
- In 2003, 282 prisoners died from AIDS-related causes -- 268 state inmates and 14 federal inmates.
- Looking Beyond Recidivism: New Research on Well-Being in Prisons and Jails From the National Institute of Justice
- Survey research with gang and non-gang members in prison: Operational lessons from the LoneStar Project
- On the selection of variables in criminology: Adjusting for the descendants of unobserved confounders