U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government, Department of Justice.

NCJRS Virtual Library

The Virtual Library houses over 235,000 criminal justice resources, including all known OJP works.
Click here to search the NCJRS Virtual Library

Domestic Homicide in New York State, 2007

NCJ Number
Adriana Fernandez-Lanier Ph.D.; James A. Gilmer
Date Published
December 2008
10 pages
This report presents police statistics on homicides in New York State in 2007 in which the victim was indicated to have had a domestic relationship with the offender.
The study found that one in every 6 victims of homicides known to police in 2007 had a domestic relationship with the killer (135 of 800 total victims). Seventy-two of the 135 victims were intimate partners of their killers, thus accounting for just over half of the State's domestic homicides in 2007. A total of 157 victims in the total homicide count were female. Of these, 55 percent were killed in a domestic incident. Females were victims in 81 percent of the 72 intimate-partner homicides in the State. Thirty-six of the domestic-homicide victims were children of all ages; 22 were under 1 year old. A firearm was used in 45 percent of homicides that involved intimate-partner victims. In New York City, most of the victims of intimate-partner homicides were Black, and 25 percent were Hispanic; however, in the rest of the State, 75 percent of the intimate-partner homicide victims were White. Of the 13 domestic homicides with elderly victims (60 years old and older), 5 of the killers were intimate partners, and 8 were other family members. 6 tables and 1 figure