U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government, Department of Justice.

NCJRS Virtual Library

The Virtual Library houses over 235,000 criminal justice resources, including all known OJP works.
Click here to search the NCJRS Virtual Library

Integrated Offender Management: Findings From the 2013 survey

NCJ Number
Date Published
9 pages
This report presents findings from a 2013 British survey of Community Safety Partnerships (CSPs) in order to determine the extent and nature of Integrated Offender Management (IOM) arrangements, defined as "an overarching framework that brings local partners together to target the offenders who cause most damage locally."
Of the CSPs that responded, 98 percent (181 CSPs) reported they had IOM arrangements in place across their jurisdiction, and 2 percent (n=3) did not. Of the three without existing IOMs, one indicated that planning was in process for creating such arrangements; the other two respondents had no such plans. A similar survey conducted in 2011 found that 74 percent of responding CSPs reported having implemented IOM, with the vast majority of the remaining 26 percent reporting they planned to implement IOM. Thus, current survey findings show that some areas have made progress in developing their local arrangements. The British Home Office is committed to assist any area that asks for support in developing local IOM arrangements. In reporting on which local agencies were involved in their local IOM arrangements, 96 percent of respondents reported the involvement of the police and the probation services. Other common partners were Local Authorities; Drug and Alcohol Services; Housing Services; Youth Offending Services; the Prison Service; and the volunteer, community, and social enterprise sector. A much smaller proportion of arrangements reported the involvement of courts, the Crown Prosecution Service, and NHS commissioning boards. Other issues addressed in the survey included the use of shared premises for partnerships, the number of offenders managed under the IOM, priority offenders, monitoring outcomes, and the use of technical assistance support tools. 6 figures