U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government, Department of Justice.

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

FAQ Listing

Enter search criteria

Sort by

The Victim Information and Notification Everyday (VINE) system allows crime victims across the country to obtain timely and reliable information about criminal cases and the custody status of offenders 24 hours a day—over the telephone, through the internet, or by email. Please visit the VineLink website for additional information.

All states and territories receive Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) funds through the Office for Victims of Crime (OVC) to establish compensation programs for crime victims.

Although each state compensation program is administered independently, most programs have similar eligibility requirements and offer comparable benefits. Compensation is paid only when other financial resources, such as private insurance and offender restitution, do not cover the loss. Some expenses are not covered by most compensation programs, including theft, damage, and property loss. State compensation programs are not required to compensate victims in terrorism cases. More information on OVC guidelines for victim compensation is available in the Victims of Crime Act Victim Compensation Program Guidelines.

For additional information, please contact your state victim compensation program. Contact information is available through the State Support section of the OVC website.

According to the Victim Compensation Program Guidelines, at a minimum, the Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) requires states to award compensation for medical expenses, mental health counseling, lost wages, and funeral expenses when they are attributable to a compensable crime.

For more information regarding expenses covered in your state, please contact your state victim compensation program. The State Support section of the Office for Victims of Crime website provides access to contact information.

The Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) specifically requires compensation to crime victims and survivors of victims of criminal violence for certain expenses resulting from physical injury from a compensable crime as defined by the state.

VOCA places priority on violent crime, but it does not prohibit coverage of nonviolent crimes. States may choose to broaden the range of compensable crimes to include those involving threats of injury or economic crime where victims are traumatized but not physically injured. Please keep in mind that eligibility requirements, in the end, are left up to the State.

Please contact your state victim compensation program for additional information. See the State Support section of the Office for Victims of Crime website for access to state contacts. The National Association of Crime Victim Compensation Boards may also be able to provide some assistance.

Information on tribal justice is available on the Department of Justice's Tribal Justice and Safety and Office of Tribal Justice websites. Visit the Tribal Justice Special Feature for additional information and resources from the Office of Justice Programs and other federal sources.

Data on rapes that occur in the U.S. are available in the Criminal Victimization and Criminal Victimization in the United States series of reports from the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS). The number of rapes reported to the police is available in the annual Crime in the United States report, which is published by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

A pre-packaged set of the Portable Guides to Investigating Child Abuse from the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP) is not available. However, each individual title can be ordered separately for those that are available in the National Criminal Justice Reference Service (NCJRS) inventory. You can access the titles and corresponding NCJ inventory numbers for the materials that make up this series on the OJJDP website. Please contact NCJRS to inquire about ordering the Portable Guides.

Visit the American Indian & Alaska Native Victim Services Resources section of the Office for Victims of Crime (OVC) website and the Tribal Justice Special Feature section of our site for information specific to American Indian crime victims.

To obtain an order of protection, contact your local district attorney or prosecutor's office. A restraining or stay-away order is a legal protection that prohibits contact or interference with activities or mobility. Additional information on orders of protection is available in the Office for Victims of Crime (OVC) report, Enforcement of Protective Orders.