U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government, Department of Justice.

NCJRS Virtual Library

The Virtual Library houses over 235,000 criminal justice resources, including all known OJP works.
Click here to search the NCJRS Virtual Library

Correctional Wardens and Superintendents: Changing Profiles

NCJ Number
Date Published
9 pages
A 14-item Correctional Institution Administrators Survey was developed and mailed to 2,292 Federal, State, local, and Provincial (Canadian) correctional administrators to examine their demographic and professional characteristics and perceived training needs.
A total of 418 surveys were returned (18 percent response rate) and analyzed. Results indicated that salaries for correctional administrators ranged from $25,000 to over $75,000 per year, with a mean annual salary of $42,000. The highest average salaries were paid to medium security facility administrators. The mean length of correctional experience was over 17 years. Respondents had served in their present position for an average of 5 years. The typical administrator was a white (88 percent) male (91 percent) with a mean age of 45. Respondents ranged in age from 27 to 71. Over 85 percent had earned a college degree, and 44 percent held a master's degree. The majority of respondents entered corrections in a custodial assignment (54 percent), while the remainder (46 percent) were first employed in a program or treatment position. Significant differences in training and background were found between male and female administrators, with a majority entering corrections in the 1970's from a treatment/program position and employed in State systems. Perceived training needs included human resource development, budget and fiscal planning, legal issues, personnel management, and communication skills. The survey instrument is appended. 13 tables. (Author abstract modified)