The statutory and regulatory information contained on this page does not constitute legal advice and is for general informational purposes only. The OCR makes no guarantee that the statutory authority or regulatory code citied within is the most current version of said law/regulation. For more recent versions of the U.S. Code and the CFR, users should consult the official revised U.S.C. or the eCFR.
On April 15, 2016, the Review Panel on Prison Rape released its latest report on sexual victimization in prisons, jails and juvenile correctional facilities. The report is available at the link below.
- Report on Sexual Victimization in Prisons and Jails 2012, April 2012
- Report on Sexual Victimization in Juvenile Correctional Facilities, October 18, 2010
In December of 2019, the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) released the report Sexual Victimization Reported By Youth In Juvenile Facilities, 2018. In accordance with its statutory duty to assist BJS in identifying common characteristics, not only of victims and perpetrators of prison rape but also of prisons and prison systems with a high incidence of prison rape and those that have successfully deterred prison rape, the Review Panel on Prison Rape (Panel) has invited the following facilities to appear at its hearings:
• The Garza County Regional Juvenile Center (TX)
• Gulf Academy (FL)
• Oak Creek Youth Correctional Facility (OR)
• Juvenile Corrections Center – St. Anthony (ID)
• W.E. Sears Youth Center (MO).
The Panel will hold hearings on May 17th and 18th, 2022. The hearings will take place at Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Main Conference Room, Third Floor, 810 Seventh Street NW, in Washington, DC. The agendas for the hearings can be viewed here. Those wishing to attend the hearings in person are asked to preregister at https://web.cvent.com/event/4954db60-b0d2-47a5-8dd7-ca02cf376149/summary. The hearings will also be streamed online via Microsoft WebEx. The May 17th hearing can be streamed here (Webinar number (access code): 2429 163 9548; Webinar password: Atn@OCR05!7 (28616270 from phones)) and the May 18th hearing can be streamed here (Webinar number (access code): 2423 635 1892 Webinar password: Atn@OCR05!8 (28616270 from phones)).
In accordance with the Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003, (codified, as amended, at 34 U.S.C. §§ 30301-30309), the Attorney General, in consultation with the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, appointed the members of the Review Panel on Prison Rape (Panel). Panel Members are:
- Doug Dretke, the Executive Director of the Correctional Management Institute of Texas (CMIT)
- Wendy Leach, Senior Consultant with The Moss Group, Inc. and former prosecutor
- Peter Perroncello a corrections consultant and previously a jail administrator